Jeremy,
I don't think the definitions of "rhs" and "lhs" are at issue. What apparently led the original poster to the wrong solution initially was the verbiage in the manual stating "Any single *$* symbols within the *lhs* side are replaced by the iterator value", which implies that "$" replacement _only_ occurs within the LHS. As Mark confirmed, "$" can also occur in the RHS, and in fact that's what was required for the correct solution.

Personally, I wouldn't remove "within the LHS" from the verbiage completely, otherwise someone will undoubtedly complain about not being able to perform a "$" replacement in the class, type or TTL fields (users being users :-)

But, maybe it could be amended to "within the LHS or RHS"...

- Kevin