On Mar 19 2009, Hayward, Bruce wrote:

Currently running 9.5.1-P1 on Solaris 10.

I can successfully change the debug level using "rndc trace xx" where xx
is the debug level. The change shows when running "rndc status" (We are
chasing why bind seems not to answer when busy at times)

What I cannot find is the output that should be in a file called
named.run in the working directory. (I have done the standard "find .
-name named.run"   from the chroot as well as the root.

Thoughts?

Have you redefined "category default" in the logging section, and if so have you left out the "default_debug" channel?

The trace level manipulated by rndc affects logging on channels
with "severity dynamic", and "default_debug" is an automatically
created channel with that option that writes to "named.run". But
if no messages ever get routed to the channel, the file will
never get created.

Actually, "default_debug" is slightly different from a channel
that you could set up yourself with "severity dynamic". The
latter would revert to "severity info" when you used "rndc notrace",
but "default_debug" magically turns itself off completely.

--
Chris Thompson
Email: c...@cam.ac.uk