The info from the zone itself is always considered "better" than the same information from a delegation, so named is going out and trying to fetch it. When it encounters the SERVFAIL it passes it back to the invoker.

If you want to see the delegation record, put a +norec ("no recurse") on the dig command line. That prevents it from going out and fetching anything.

- Kevin

brad wrote:
Thanks Kevin, but shouldn't I be able to get info from my DNS server for this record? I'm doing this and getting the SERVFAIL:

dig @dns1.irides.com <http://dns1.irides.com> bh._domainkey.edweek.org <http://domainkey.edweek.org> NS