Funny enough, I did not have any allow-query at all, but adding allow-query {any;} did indeed change the behavior. But allow-query-cache obviously defaults to localhost, localnets and was triggering the behavior that confused me.

Inbetween I overhauled the config, setting all the options explicitly where needed, instead of building on default behavior and everything works as expected now. Lessen learned: Ignore defaults, always set things as YOU want them to be :-).

Thanks for your reply though.

Regards

-Sven