Am 13.08.2010 19:53, schrieb Mike Mackintosh:
Hi All,

I recently set up a new web server for a group of hosts, and mirrored the setup of bind off a working system. For some reason, the DNS is not resolving off public dns server when the nameservers for these domains are directed to this server, and i cannot resolve any of the zones off public DNS but i can if i direct dig to resolve off the server's IP.

The major difference is the registrar for the new domains. I am using Site5.Com, and have directed the domains to the new nameservers.

Example, the domain is angrserver.net

Digging angryserver.net returns a timeout. I registered the name servers below to the correct ip's, 205.186.156.125 and 205.186.156.124 on SIte5.

Primary Nameserver: dns.angryserver.net
Secondary Nameserver: dns2.angryserver.net

Dig angryserver.net @205.186.156.125 returns the correct results. Bind successfully started.

How will the registrar be able to resolve the host name dns.angryserver.net if dns is not propagating? I understand that when you register a domain, the registrar will send the nameserver information to the root servers, which are then queried for your domain when you do a lookup. If dns.angryserver.net and dns2.angryserver.net is not propagated to the root servers, how can it be resolved to the correct nameserver? Do i need to create an A record for another domain and point that to the nameservers, and then update my NS records for angryserver.net to use the other domain?

Bind is running and the zones are working, its just the whole working across the internet that's getting me confussed.

Thanks,

Mike

It's working perfectly okay here.

[t...@daddelkiste Desktop]$ dig @127.0.0.1 angryserver.net

; <<>> DiG 9.6.2-P2-RedHat-9.6.2-5.P2.fc12 <<>> @127.0.0.1 angryserver.net
; (1 server found)
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;angryserver.net.               IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
angryserver.net.        3600    IN      A       205.186.156.119

;; Query time: 2103 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(127.0.0.1)
;; WHEN: Fri Aug 13 23:09:25 2010
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 49