Alan Clegg,

>Can you perhaps explain your need to fragment the DNS namespace (which
>was NOT supposed to be done)?

I cannot speak for Alans, but only for our own needs.

We run DNSes for a number of customers i.e. everybody in the whole world should
see the
same zone data. No different views of the same zones here.

Currently this is implemented by external tools maintaining include files.

Recently an rndc addzone/delzone feature has been introduced. It is maintaining
views and
include files and making instant updates.

What I am proposing is a simple generalization of this concept, so that a view
can be used
as a group thus eliminating the need for external tools.

Conceptually this is very simple. Just make BIND search for a zone in all views
matching
the client until it finds it instead of only searching the first matching view
as it does
today.

It is even backward compatible for current correct configuration of views.

mvh
Jørgen