I'm having a query problem and hope I'm at the right mailing list...

I get a "recursion not available" message intermittently when using nslookup. The message will appear on the first query, presumably to un-cached IP/hostname and subsequent queries to the same IP/hostname will succeed without the message.

The client is Debian Lenny, package 1:9.6.ESVR1+dfsg-0+lenny2.
The clients /etc/resolv.conf has two nameserver entries pointing to two internal DNS servers which are Windows 2003SP2. Both the client and the servers are on the same subnet and switch as the client performing nslookups. I have confirmed the two DNS servers have recursion enabled. Changing the order in the Debian clients resolv.conf does not modify or correct the behavior of nslookup.

Using another Debian Lenny client to query the Windows 2003 servers reproduces the message in the same intermittent fashion.

Using other Debian Lenny clients to other Debian BIND servers (unsure of package version) on other networks reproduces the "recursion not available" message. (always with nslookup)

I originally stumbled upon this query problem because my Postfix instance would also intermittently fail lookups and log them to mail.log. I found information in the Postfix archives that Postfix uses the libraries of the host so I turned to nslookup to troubleshoot queries.

I have not been able to receive the "recursion not available" message while using dig.

Is this "recursion not available" message a known issue?

Since I'm seeing this recursion message in more than one environment, how would I, and my installed applications, get more consistent successful queries out of the respective systems?