On Mar 4, 2011, at 11:34 PM, Joseph S D Yao wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 04, 2011 at 06:55:07PM -0800, Chris Buxton wrote:
>>
>> With a static-stub zone (new in BIND 9.8), your server would not prime its
>> cache with the bad NS rrset from the authoritative server. It would simply
>> start all query resolution for the domain in question (possibly bigger than
>> the zone) at that server, thus bypassing the bad NS rrset.

> With this description, I have to ask, how does it then differ from a
> forward-only domain?

A static-stub zone involves an iterative query, the potential for a referral,
and then potentially recursion to follow the referral.

Conditional forwarding (a zone of type forward) involves a recursive query. If
the answer is not forthcoming and 'forward only;' is set, the result is a
SERVFAIL back to the client. There is no possibility that the DNS server so
configured will follow referrals.

Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks