I believe your original issue is due to the fact that you are sending a
recursive query via the forward to a device you said won't do recursive
queries.  The cname you are asking for is not in the domain hosted by the
second server. Since it won't do recursive queries it won't resolve the end
point of the cname chain.
If you specifically ask for cname first, it caches the cname and then
further queries don't go  to the second box and your first box just resolves
the end of the chain.

-Ben Croswell