On Jul 8, 2011, at 9:05 AM, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> On 7/8/2011 3:04 AM, Chris Buxton wrote:
>> As for Kevin's assertion that the SOA record in the authority section is
>> required for a negative response, this is also incorrect. RFC 2308 is a
>> proposed standard, not a standard.
>
> OK, I stand corrected. It's mandatory per a Proposed Standard that hasn't had
> any major objections, reported flaws, or updates in years, and is implemented
> in virtually every authoritative nameserver -- including load-balancers,
> pretending to be auth nameservers, and which break a whole raft of other
> standards and/or best practices -- and resolver.
>
> *Technically* a negative response can be given that does not conform to RFC
> 2308, and no RFC Police will show up at one's doorstep wielding an arrest
> warrant...

I'm not disagreeing with your points above, merely being a pedant. Obviously
it's a good thing when negative answers are cacheable.

>> Further, section 8 of this RFC does not say explicitly that an SOA must be
>> included in a negative response, only that it must be cached (presumably
>> only if present). We might ask the author, Mark Andrews, for clarification
>> of this point.
>
> Um, Section 8 talks about how resolvers deal with negative caching.

Interesting, then, that it's titled, "Changes from RFC 1034". You're right, of
course, but the title is confusing.

> Section 3 talks about responses from authoritative servers, and that was the
> subject of this thread. Section 3 is quite clear on the point:

Agreed. I stand corrected on this point.

A bit confusing, though, that Mark chose to include in his examples in section
2 cases where the authority section is empty.

Regardless, my primary point was that, while returning a cacheable negative
answer is now pretty much standard behavior, a resolver should still be able to
cope with a completely empty negative response. I do still see them from time
to time, although I don't have an example to hand.

Regards,
Chris Buxton
BlueCat Networks