On Jan 15, 2012, at 8:41 AM, Markus Braun wrote:
> > DNSMASQ is basically a DNS forwarder but it has a bunch of other
> > features. Check the Wikipedia page on it and if you have questions
> > please ask on their mailing list or forum.
> >
> > Regarding BIND, if you have issues with your server returning some
> > results within your server and other results when queried from the
> > outside you should take a look at BIND views.
> >
> > Please invest some time studying BIND, at least the basics to run a
> > "caching nameservers". You'll need that.
>
> i googled the last days....i cant run DNSMASQ and BIND9 both on the same port
> or?

Nope.  Most services are terribly selfish and will not let
other services bind to the same port which they are using.

> i though it is easy to create a forward under bind9.

It is easy to forward requests to another nameserver under BIND.

Like the person you just replied to said, I suspect that you mean
something else by the word, which BIND also provides via "views".

> caching nameservers? can you give some more details please?

Read the docs.  Or RFC-1034.  Or go pick up "DNS and BIND" from O'Reilly.

Trying to run a nameserver without any background knowledge is roughly
comparable to trying to drive a car with a blindfold on.  It's less a
question of "will you crash and break things?" and more a question of
"how quickly will you crash, how many things get broken, and how many
other people are going to be affected as a consequence...?"

Regards,
--
-Chuck