On May 17 2012, Daniel Deighton wrote:

On 05/17/2012 12:20 PM, Chris Thompson wrote:
[... snip ...]
named: general: error: socket: file descriptor exceeds limit (4096/4096)
last message repeated 1194 times
named: general: error: socket: file descriptor exceeds limit (4096/4096)
last message repeated 780 times
[... snip...]

It looks like you are reaching an OS limit for open files. On linux, you
can check this with 'ulimit -n'. Determining the limit will vary for
other operating systems. On what OS are you running BIND?

It is Solaris 10_x86, but I don't think it is an OS-mediated resource limit
at all. named increases all those limits to "unlimited" when it starts up,
and plimit(1) applied to the running process confirms that. This is a limit
being imposed by named itself. When it starts up it announces

named: [ID 873579 daemon.info] using up to 4096 sockets

which I take to be the same self-imposed limit, changed only via -S, as
that message occurs just *before*

named: [ID 873579 daemon.info] loading configuration from {pathname}

--
Chris Thompson
Email: c...@cam.ac.uk