I don't believe SRV lookups use the "search" directive in /etc/resolv.conf; I think that's only for A (name-to-address) lookups. But I could be wrong on that...

It all comes back to: the client should know what domain contains the resources it's looking for. There's fundamentally no such thing as a "generic" SRV lookup; SRV lookups are always contextual to a particular domain.

As for your point about "tel:" URIs having no domain, I'm no IP telephony expert by any stretch of the imagination, but isn't ENUM used to map a phone number (as found in a "tel:" URI) to one or more domains for the SRV lookup(s)? Or am I way off-base here?

                                                            - Kevin