On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 08:38:18AM -0600, Moore, Mark A. wrote:
> Good afternoon. We are currently running BIND on our RHEL 5.x servers and see
> connection attempts from our internal clients to the BIND on tcp 443. They
> are currently being block from connecting to 443 since these servers are only
> DNS. Is there any reason for clients to connect to tcp 443 for any type of
> DNS resolution? Just want to confirm before I dig deeper into this issue.
>
> Thx in advance for any assistance provided.
>
> Mark

If some of your clients use dnssec-trigger for DNSSEC setup
(http://www.nlnetlabs.nl/projects/dnssec-trigger), it can probe your server for
"DNS-over-SSL". Check dnssec-trigger overview, section "How does it work" for
more details.

Note this doesn't mean you should allow connections to port 443.

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.