On 8/31/2012 2:50 AM, sth...@nethelp.no wrote:
Again, it's not about how effective the block is or can be. Unless Italy
becomes like China or even worse (but the US had the chance end up
almost in the same situation very recently, so this is NOT an
Italian-only problem), there is no way to inhibit users from reaching a
given resource on the Internet: if the user is motivated enough he/she
will circumvent whatever you do, eventually assisted by the counterpart
he/she is trying to reach...
We are in much the same situation in Norway. All the biggest ISPs use
a list of child porn domains to be blocked, specified by the central
police authorities. *In principle* implementing this is voluntary for
the ISPs. In practice there is significant pressure to do so.

Both the police and the ISPs are fully aware that blocking this at the
DNS level (the ISP recursive resolvers) won't prevent somebody who is
determined. But the police (and the government) still want this done.

I sometimes suspect their view is of the type "We must do something.
This is something, therefore we must do it."

Nothing is better than paradise.
A ham sandwich is better than nothing.
Therefore, a ham sandwich is better than paradise.

                            - Kevin