> Is using syslog a sane default for new installations or when using
> official vendor packages with their startup scripts?

I for one would not want to miss BIND9's logging to auto-rotated files:

        file "/var/named/log/named.log" versions 10 size 5m;

Other than that, I'd say logging via syslog is a sane default, and it
allows people to easily forward syslog to log hosts (or Logstash, etc.).

> By the way, all of the BIND10 logging
> messages are unique and we provide a paragraph or more documentation for
> each of its 933 possible log identifiers!)

I haven't checked whether you have that, but that screams for a CLI
utility to show the paragraph without having to browse documentation. :)

        -JP