Hello,

we have a few BIND (9.9) slave servers, each slaving a couple of hundred
thousand small zones (a dozen records in each). A file included into
named.conf is periodically generated from a database, and named is
reconfigured (rndc reconfig) to load new slave zones.

I'm considering replacing this scheme of doing things by calls to `rndc
addzone' to add the slave zone to named on the fly, because we're seeing
NOTIFYs going unanswered (for existing zones) while BIND is reloading.

I'd appreciate if you could help me clarify a few things, please.

1. Is named 'deaf' during an `rndc addzone'? I don't think so, but I'm
   finding it hard to determine definitely. I'm primarily concerned with
   named being able to handle any NOTIFYs it gets.

2. When I `rndc addzone ... type "slave"; ...' named immediately picks
   that up, transfers the zone and creates the specified file. However,
   `rndc delzone', while it drops the zone from named, does not remove
   the zone file from the file system. Is that a bug or was that
   implemented intentionally?

   It seems a bit illogical to me that the zone file isn't removed from
   the file system, but perhaps I'm interpreting 'delzone' too strongly?  :)

3. If I direct `rndc addzone|delzone' to the same named instance from
   multiple processes (from the same source IP address), is there any
   danger of the .nzf file being corrupted?

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

        -JP