On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 02:18:20PM -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:

> On 02/13/2013 01:44 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> >Haven't done it on RHEL/CentOS 6.x yet but in RHEL5 with the bind-chroot
> >installed I've always had:
> >/var/named/chroot as the jail for BIND.
> >/var/named/chroot/etc = Location of global config files such as named.conf
> >/var/named/chroot/var/named = Location of the zone files.
>
> These I am use to and have used them for years.
>
> >I don't see a /var/named/chroot/etc/named in RHEL5 but then again that is
> >based on BIND 9.3.  RHEL6 is almost certainly based on a higher upstream
> >version.   Since CentOS is built from RHEL source it would have that higher
> >version as well.
>
> Yes. I am going from Centos (RHEL) 5.5 to 6.3, so the new directory
> just has me wondering. I found it also as /etc/named/ so it is part
> of their base bind rpm, but no documentation on what they expected
> to be place there. Just here is something new and I want to know why
> so that I am not supprised.

Hi,

the directory is intended for configuration files included by named.conf via
"include" directive. After that the directory is mounted via `mount --bind` into
chroot so you can just put files into /etc/named/, include them into named.conf
and chrooted configuration will work for you out of the box (i.e. you don't have
to create symlinks for files included by named.conf etc...)

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.