I solve the EDNS problem, probably on my Juniper SSG5. This will initially have to wait until Juniper gets back to me, or I corner some of their developers at IETF in a couple weeks. Alternatively I replace the SSG5...

And I change my registry to one that supports DNSSEC.

Commenting all the lines about DNSSEC does not seem to totally stop it, as I see the following message after restarting named:

Mar 3 07:48:45 onlo named[7049]: managed-keys-zone ./IN/external: loaded serial 352

And eventhough rigel and klovia were restarted with all the DNSSEC lines commented out, I am still getting the 'no valid RRSIG' messages for htt. I suspect I am dealing with defaults here and will have to explicitly state:

    dnssec-enable no;
    dnssec-validation no;

Still getting the loading of managed-keys-zone, but now I get resolution for htt. on the caching server. I see much testing ahead of me, as there is no firewall between rigel and klovia. This at least will allow me to launch klovia as my new mail server as I work out the DNSSEC related items.

Anything else I need to do to really turn dnssec off for now?

Still wonder what will stop the manage-keys-zone loading.