On Wed, Oct 2, 2013 at 9:18 PM, Balanagaraju Munukutla <9ba...@sg.ibm.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> Any one could help on the error below.
>

> [andrew@oc8163211842 ~] $ dig @xxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> @xxxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;;* connection timed out; no servers could be reached*
>
> [andrew@oc8163211842 ~]$ dig @xxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
>
> ; <<>> DiG 9.3.6-P1-RedHat-9.3.6-16.P1.el5 <<>> @xxxxx.com abcd.com.sg mx
> ; (1 server found)
> ;; global options:  printcmd
> ;; *connection timed out; no servers could be reached*
> ---------------------------
>
> Thanks & Regards
> Nagaraj

This message is virtually content free. You basically said "Something in
DNS failed at a very basic level, but I will remove any information that
might provide even a slight clue to determine why." You hide the query and
the server. All that can really be said is that your client failed to get a
response from the specified server.

Is the specified system even running DNS? Is a firewall blocking the query?
The response? Is the server yours or someone else's? Is routing allowing
bi-directional communication? Is these an outage that is blocking
communication? The list of possibilities just goes on and on.

If you want help, you have to tell us something more than that it failed.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: rkober...@gmail.com