On Tue, 14 Jan 2014, LuKreme wrote:

On 13 Jan 2014, at 20:36 , Mark Andrews <ma...@isc.org> wrote:

In message <8919443e-8f62-48cd-8da4-9c9632fc5...@kreme.com>, LuKreme writes:
OK, I am getting this error "dumping master file: tmp-xxx: open:
permission denied", occasionally, on both my slave DNS servers and I
can't seem to fix it.

The dns slave files are being written into /var/named/etc/namedb/slave
which is owned by bind

8 drwxr-xr-x  2 bind  wheel  1024 Jan 13 19:46 /var/named/etc/namedb/slave

DNS changes are getting propagated to both servers from the master, so I
don't know where the permission denied is coming from. Where is this
tmp file being (attempted to be) written?

It's trying to write the the working directory which I doubt is
/var/named/etc/namedb/slave.  I suspect you have a bad "file"
directive.

Hmm. OK, there is a /var/named/etc/namedb/working/ which is also owned by bind.

Where might this bad file directive be? The only ‘file’ in named.conf are in
the form “slave/example.com” and the pid-file setting.

And why are the slave servers "dumping master file" in the first place?

So the slave can start up and serve the zone content when the master
server is down.

Oh? Coolness :)

I've been tripped up on this before as there is a default directory and the default can be overridden by a "directory" option statement. Using a chroot adds the current definition into the chrooted directory. It can get quite confusing and I have found that just using full paths on all zone files just cuts out any question. Usually the slave server will get a new copy master fairly quickly if you don't save it but it is cleaner if it has a fairly recent copy locally.

Dave

--
David Forrest      e-mail: drf at maplepark dot com
St. Louis, Missouri