On 2014-03-25 16:16, Mark Andrews wrote:
".local" is reserved for mDNS.  I would say stop trying to use ".local" in
the DNS.

While true, I don't think it will help this particular issue. As I understand it, BIND knows, by knowledge of being a root server, that local. can't possibly exist, and so that knowledge overrides the configuration of the forwarder.

I ran into similar setting up a fake/virtual TLD for wrbldnsd, which I was able to resolve by moving it downstream to dnsbl.hireahit.net. instead of just dnsbl. Nearly. Until I hit one broken application that wouldn't work with this configuration.

Switching BIND to use hints instead of acting as a root seems to work around this (broken) local configuration.

--
Dave Warren
http://www.hireahit.com/