On Apr 9, 2014, at 12:02 AM, Dean Gibson (DNS Administrator)
<i...@ultimeth.com> wrote:

> I'm interested in a special use-case, where (say, in an emergency), access to
> most of the Internet (and hence the root servers) is cut off.  In this
> situation, there is an emergency connected network consisting of several
> domains, each with known nameserver IP addresses.   The hosts in domain
> aaa.com know (typically, via DHCP) about the nameservers for their domain,
> but nothing about domain bbb.com.
>
> At first I thought that one should place "glue" NS records for domain bbb.com
> in the zone for aaa.com, so that hosts in aaa.com that use the aaa.com
> nameservers, will be able to refer to the hostnames in domain bbb.com.
>
> I understand that one can do this for subdomains.  However, a bit of research
> seems to suggest that a stub zone is the proper way to do this.  Is this what
> a "stub" zone is for?

Yes, put the stub zone(s) on your recursive name servers so that they know
where to find your authoritative zones or those outside zones to which you
cannot lose contact. Use static-stub zones in place of stub zones where
appropriate.

Then you have to maintain your masters statements as those zones move around.

Chris