That scenario still shouldn't have led to an NXDOMAIN. If none of the delegated nameservers are responding, you'd get a timeout or SERVFAIL. So I think there's still some investigation to be done. But using dig instead of nslookup at least makes things clearer :-)

Of course, caching may complicate things here. The NS records published at the apex (which I assume were all 6 of them) take precedence over the delegation NS'es, so for a period of time, some resolvers would be able to resolve names in the zone, and some would not. Eventually, depending on your TTLs, everyone would expire the cached NS records and the zone would be completely unresolvable.

        - Kevin