Anytime you see 'grep' and 'cut' used together, they can usually be
shortened to just 'awk', which requires starting one less process.  And if
this case it splits fields the way a users sees them, so the same code
works in both cases:

$ dig +noall +answer home.kreme.com in a | awk '/[\t ]A[\t ]/ {print $NF}'
23.24.150.141
$ dig +noall +answer  dave.knig.ht in a | awk '/[\t ]A[\t ]/ {print $NF}'
216.235.14.46

--
Bob Harold
hostmaster, UMnet, ITcom