On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 10:50:42PM -0400, b...@bitrate.net wrote:
> in the arm, it says "dnssec-enable: Enable DNSSEC support in named.
> Unless set to yes, named behaves as if it does not support
> DNSSEC.".  "behaves as if it does not support DNSSEC" seemed quite
> unequivocal to me, so i interpreted this to mean that if
> dnssec-enable no; is set, no dnssec operations/behavior of any kind
> would be seen, period, regardless of what other settings might be
> set.  however, it seems that if dnssec-validation auto; is set [i
> didn't try dnssec-validation yes;], bind does perform dnssec
> related operations even though dnssec-enable no; is set [from
> looking briefly at logs with rndc trace 1, i see what appear to be
> attempts at validation - retrieving ds records, dnskey records,
> etc].

I tested this with a query of dnssec-failed.org/IN/SOA, and indeed,
validation is done and (of course) fails.  named-checkconf -p shows:

        dnssec-enable no;
        dnssec-lookaside auto;
        dnssec-validation auto;

> am i misinterpreting the documentation?

Reading on through:

"
dnssec-validation

    Enable DNSSEC validation in named. Note dnssec-enable also
    needs to be set to yes to be effective. ...
"

This does not seem to be the case.  I think bug, whether it's the
documentation or the behavior.

--
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/