On 22/10/15 16:30, Steve Arntzen wrote:

As a test, I tried forwarding (and forward only) google.com to Google's
public DNS server.  Although the packets did go directly to 8.8.8.8 as
expected, my Bind server still (for safe verification) performed the
second look up.  Note, the requesting client using dig, sends out one
request and receives one reply.  The test was for "play.google.com".

"forward only" was going to be my suggestion but I guess it doesn't work. Likely it's just not implemented to avoid proliferation of code paths.

I wonder if the prefetch feature of recent versions of bind would help you; you'd still be doing the queries, but "in advance" of the cache entry expiring, so the client wouldn't see the slow, expired-cache case.