On 2 May 2016 at 16:38, <jaso...@mail-central.com> wrote:

> On Mon, May 2, 2016, at 12:15 PM, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> > What about using a specific zone file just for the purpose of the single
> > A record you want to maintain using dynamic updates?
>
> Well, this is a timely idea for another issue I've been working on ...
>
> Could you expand on this a bit? Maybe an example?
>
> I'm not clear how you go about maintaining a 'different' zone for a record
> that belong in the 'original', parent zone.
>
> He's suggesting something like having example.com and dynamic.example.com
as separate zones, where the A record at the apex of the dynamic.example.com
zone is the host you want to maintain.   That'll let you have different
configurations for both zones (one dynamic, one manual).

example.com. IN SOA (...)
             IN NS ns1.example.com.
             IN NS ns2.example.com.

www          IN A  192.0.2.1
dynamic      IN NS ns1.example.com.
             IN NS ns2.example.com.
---

dynamic.example.com. IN SOA (...).
             IN NS ns1.example.com.
             IN NS ns2.example.com.
             IN A  192.0.2.1  ; use nsupdate to change me
---