Am 04.02.2017 um 22:30 schrieb Mark Andrews:
It has been suggested many times that there should be a record which
says which server(s) serve a zone for HTTP and HTTPS.  We could do
this with SRV (_http._tcp.example.com and _https._tcp.example.com)
or we could come up with a new record example.com HTTP <server>.

for the thread starter - use https://intodns.com/ to find out and fix common mistakes in dns zones

Browser vendors refuse to accept either of these solutions because
they don't want to do a second DNS lookup for the server's addresses
when the addresses are not included in the initial response.

someone should point out to the browser vendors that this is technically already the case when CNAMES pointing to a different domain and the destination of the CNAME easily can be another CNAME pointing somewhere else

makes sense when different companies are involved for a lot of records and each one wants a single entry for easier future changes instead touch 50 or more

well, not the browser itself but the involved DNS servers and i don't see how that's different for the total response time since all that stuff is also cached in the whole dns chain