On 19-Apr-17 21:43, Mark Andrews wrote:
> DSA requires random values as part of the signing process.  Really
> all CPU's should have real random number sources built into them
> and new genuine random values should only be a instruction code away.
>
> Mark
Most recent ones do.  See RDRAND for Intel (and AMD).  Even Raspberry Pi.

The tinfoil hat brigade in some distributions has resisted using them,
fearing some conspiracy to provide not-so-random numbers.  (Despite the
fact that /dev/random hashes/whitens the inputs to the entropy pool.)
You may need to take a positive action to enable use of the hardware
source.  Google RDRAND for plenty of entertainment.

There are also fairly inexpensive (~usd 50) USB devices that provide
reasonable entropy quality at decent speeds.  (But much lower than
RDRAND.)  They're good for the old hardware that you recycle for
single-purpose servers.

Systems that have low activity/low entropy can benefit from
entropybroker (https://www.vanheusden.com/entropybroker/).  Use it to
distribute entropy from those who have to those who don't.  It's really
handy for VMs, and for that isolated system that you use for your root keys.

For most uses, use /dev/urandom - which doesn't block.  /dev/random will
block if the entropy pool is depleted.  (However, if you have a hardware
source, very, very rarely.)  /dev/random is recommended for long lived
keys - which usually includes KSKs, and may include ZSKs.  I don't
believe named makes a distinction...you get to pick one for everything.

Timothe Litt
ACM Distinguished Engineer