Hi Reindl:

On Tue 7/11/17 18:05 +0200 Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 11.07.2017 um 15:57 schrieb b...@zq3q.org:
> > Assume I register domain 'mynew.org' with registrar namecheap; and as an
> > exercise,
> > I plan to setup my own two authoritative DNS nameservers for 'mynew.org'.
> >
> > I have several linux VMs, that are under used, so I want to use them
> > for the nameservers for 'mynew.org'.  **Neither are in 'mynew.org';
> > is that going to work?**
> >
> > namecheap support seems to suggest that the personal DNS authorative
> > nameservers
> > for 'mynew.org', must be in 'mynew.org', as in
> >
> >      ns1.mynew.org
> >      ns2.mynew.org
>
> for sure not
> and i am repsonsible for both zones and some hundret others
> on that nameservers over 15 years....

Thanks for confirming.

> https://intodns.com/rhsoft.net confirms that all is fine

Thanks for this tool!

> and when your
> registrar really has such crazy requirements switch to a sane one -
> frankly it's even not helpful in case you need to switch nameservers
> because in the case above they become GLUE records with a TTL of 172800
> independent from the zone TTL

OK, I'm ready to consider other registrars, any suggestions
would be appreciated.

    https://www.gandi.net/
    has been suggested by Matthew Seaman. Looks good to me.

related rant: http://zq3q.org/pz/#zycbu_Choosing_a_DNS_registrar

> i had to switch a server which hosted websites and one of the
> nameservers (i know don't mix it) to a different machine some years ago
> and it was not funny that it took ages until webclients used the new IP
> address while NDS would not have been a problem by just keep the old one
> as additional slave until shut it down
>
> ns1.thelounge.net.   ['85.124.176.242']   [TTL=172800]
> ns2.thelounge.net.   ['91.118.73.16']   [TTL=172800]
>
> [harry@rh:~]$ whois rhsoft.net
> Name Server: ns1.thelounge.net
> Name Server: ns2.thelounge.net
> DNSSEC: Unsigned
>
> [harry@rh:~]$ dig NS rhsoft.net @ns1.thelounge.net
> ; <<>> DiG 9.10.5-P2-RedHat-9.10.5-2.P2.fc25 <<>> NS rhsoft.net
> @ns1.thelounge.net
> ;; global options: +cmd
> ;; Got answer:
> ;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 2, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 1
>
> ;; OPT PSEUDOSECTION:
> ; EDNS: version: 0, flags:; udp: 1024
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;rhsoft.net.                    IN      NS
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> rhsoft.net.             86400   IN      NS      ns2.thelounge.net.
> rhsoft.net.             86400   IN      NS      ns1.thelounge.net.
--snip

On Tue 7/11/17 21:33 +0200 Reindl Harald wrote:
--snip
> > What is a domain registrar with good support, that can guide me through
> > getting this to work under linux (fedora 24 and bind 9.x)?  I can buy a new
> > domain
> > if need be.
>
> no need - you can transfer your domains at any point in time

Thanks.  I may as well learn that process.

--snip

> in case of .at we are directly registrar and our infrastructure talks
> idrectly via
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extensible_Provisioning_Protocol to

Thx for the above link.

Thx, I looked at https://www.epag.de/en/