On 28 Aug 2017, at 17:06, Michael Dahlberg wrote:

My apologies if this question has an easily discoverable answer but my google-fu seems to be failing me today.

  Try "insecure delegation" against your favourite search engine.
Here's an example of what searching for this gave me (from DuckDuckGo rather than Google):

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/25674236/how-to-create-delegation-signer-ds-record-for-a-subdomain-with-powerdns

 If a domain is signed, is it possible to delegate a subdomain to a 3rd party who is unable to sign that subdomain?

Yes. You need NS records as has always been the case. By simply not adding a DS
  record, you signal an insecure delegation.

You may have problems if the two sets of name servers (for parent and child zones)
  overlap.

  Best regards,
  Niall O'Reilly