Apologies all, I missed an Event Viewer entry:

"C:\Program Files\ISC BIND 9\etc\named.conf:19: option 'filter-aaaa-on-v4' was not enabled at compile time"

So it appears I DO have to recompile...

As to why I like this feature..... *sigh* I have gigabit fiber AT&T business connection with a Cisco 1921 that I configure for remote access IKEv2 IPsec. AT&T has not enabled IPv6 at the moment for my connection (and even if they had, they currently use a pretty awful 6rd setup that tunnels v6 traffic and limits it to ~40-60mbps). When I connect to the VPN from a client location that has dual-stack (such as my Android phone on Verizon), the VPN SA is made for the v4 address but not the v6 address. Android, it seems, has a bit of a broken split tunneling implementation, and it appears that when my v4-only VPN is connected, outgoing traffic to v6 destinations is simply dropped, and crucially the v4 address is never tried. The net effect is I am unable to access any website that has enabled v6, or attempt to otherwise access any resource that is discovered via an AAAA DNS record.

If I could root my phone, I would just disable IPv6 on the phone, but I can't do that at the moment. So this solution currently works best; the phone only gets A records returned for all DNS lookups, and thus only tries to connect to IPv4 addresses. It's a horrible kludge for my specific situation that I hope will change soon :)

Thanks!