Hi, Tony and Cathy

Yes,  you are right.   It is caused by query using same FQDN and TTL=0.  I went 
to adjust  'clients-per-query' and ' max-clients-per-query' parameters during 
the test, there was a big difference. 

I also saw clients-per-query being adjusted up and down in logs :)   anyway,  I 
am looking for multiple FQDNs solution to alleviate it.

Thank you very much!


-----Original Message-----
From: bind-users [mailto:bind-users-boun...@lists.isc.org] On Behalf Of Cathy 
Sent: Friday, April 13, 2018 4:14 AM
To: bind-users@lists.isc.org
Subject: Re: DNS Capacity issue help -- Recursive Query -- it seems some 
packets are dropped by DNS

On 10/04/2018 01:37, PENG, JUNAN wrote:
> Hi, All
> I did recursive query capacity test.   I used traffic generator to place 15K 
> QPS traffic to DNS 1 with FQDN1 (Note, FQDN1 can't be resolve by DNS1, it 
> need to forward it to DNS2  and TTL is set to 0)
> But during the test , I found lots of failure , the successful rate is not 
> high (85%).   Then I used TCPdump commands to capture logs in DNS1 , I found 
> the following things:
> Thing 1.  DNS query number is larger than response number between traffic 
> generator and DNS1 .  About 15% traffic are dropped by DNS1 . 
> Thing 2. DNS recursive query number between DNS1 and DNS2  is far less than 
> query number between traffic generator and DNS1   

Tony Finch was correct earlier to point you in the direction of 

There's also this KB article:


But your test scenario is in any case flawed.  You're attempting to test how 
well named can handle recursing every time, but that is not going to happen 
because you're using the same FQDN.

What's happening here is that the first query received causes recursion to 
commence to get the answer to the client query.  All the other clients making 
the same query while this is ongoing, don't cause named to start more recursion 
- instead they will be queued waiting for the answer to be available (i.e. 
there are multiple clients per query at this point in time).

When the answer comes back from recursion, it will be given to all those 
clients that were waiting for it.  Then, because it had TTL=0, it's not kept to 
be used for newer clients asking for the same thing - essentially the process 
starts all over again.

And the other thing that is happening (as has already been pointed out) is that 
you're (very likely) tripping up over the 'clients-per-query'
self-tuning throttle (designed to protect your server from a storm of the same 
query from multiple clients).  This is going to result in dropped queries.  
Have a look at your logs (make sure you're logging
everything) - if you see clients-per-query being adjusted up and down, then 
you've been hitting this limit.

Hope this info helps you to design a test that matches better to what you need 
to achieve.


Please visit 
  to unsubscribe from this list

bind-users mailing list
Please visit https://lists.isc.org/mailman/listinfo/bind-users to unsubscribe 
from this list

bind-users mailing list

Reply via email to