On 08/15/2018 09:11 AM, Bob McDonald wrote:
I've recently been investigating having a local slave copy of the root zone on a caching/forwarder type server. I've even put the local slave copy of the root zone into a separate view accessed via a different loopback address. (An limited example of this exists on the ISC site)

My question is this. Is there any benefit to also hosting local slave copies of arpa., in-addr.arpa., and ip6.arpa.? Although FreeBSD now comes with unbound as it's default DNS software, installing bind yields an example named.conf which floats the concept of the local slave copies of the above zones. (That is what led me down this path...)

I'm responsible for the slave zone configuration in the FreeBSD named.conf. At least, I wrote the original version of it, and maintained it for many years. The version located here looks essentially as I left it: https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/dns/bind913/files/named.conf.in?revision=470832&view=markup

Slaving the root and ARPA zones is a small benefit to performance for a busy resolver, and as long as you maintain a watch on your logs to make sure that slaving the zone does not fail, you're golden.

I understand the reasoning behind maintaining these zones in a separate view, accessible only locally, but don't see any value in it. A resolver is going to cache the answers it gets anyway.

This technique is particularly useful for folks in bad/expensive network conditions. While the current anycast networks of root servers is much better than it was "in the old days," the more data you have locally the more resilient you are to DDOS against those targets.

In regards to production readiness, I've used it in heavy production at numerous sites, as have thousands of FreeBSD users.

hope this helps,

Doug