If I recall correctly, it had to do with the fact that we were in a
very-network-close test environment with very-small packets so it wasn't
necessary to even consider resends. I don't recall whether it did anything at
all to the results; it is just one of the various things I stuck into the
blender in order to see if it made a difference and was still in at the end of
testing. The number of test iterations I went through was in the hundreds and
most of it was "Moar! MOAR!" rather than good arguments; more about proving a
design could reach a theoretical limit than whether it would be 100% stable in
production.

The environment design that these tests were preparing for haven't been
implemented yet; that's what I'm working on over the next few weeks, so I'll be
going over these settings with some kid-gloves and being a little gentler as we
don't need a single location churning out 2M5 qps; we're quite happy with 2M.

Let's hear it for overkill!

Stuart