I edited a zone file after issuing a rndc freeze command, added two new sub
zones, changed the serial number, saved the file, and then did an rndc thaw.

In var/log.messages I get

zone serial (2019020105) unchanged. zone may fail to transfer to slaves.

which is the previous serial number.

So, I tried to move the .signed file aside, thinking maybe thaw might recreate
it, But no, it complains the file doesn’t exist, so I put it back.

Is it possible for me to edit the zone file (as in with vim) and have bind
update, or do I have to do everything through nsupdate and never access the
zone files directly?

At this point, how do I get the zone updated?

If I try to dig for the new subdomains that are in the zone, they do not
resolve, and all the information in DNS is the information that was there on
21090201.

I am currently updating to bind912-9.12.3P1_3 to see if anything changes.

--
If you think that Mick Jagger will still be doing the whole rock star
thing at age fifty, well, then, you are sorely, sorely mistaken.