On 4/27/19 3:33 PM, Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> On 27/04/2019 21:52, Tim Daneliuk wrote:
>
> Hi Tim,
>
>> Running:  FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE #0 r345904
>>
>> Bind 9.11 works fine.  If I attempt to install 9.12 or greater, the
>> installation succeeds but any attempt to start the daemon fails silently.
>> Output of 'sh -x /usr/local/rc.d/named start' follows below.
>
> This doesn't show anything useful. BIND usually logs to syslog when
> starting up. Check your syslog - you may find more useful messages in there.
>
> Regards,
> Anand

D'oh ... I didn't even think of that (and I should have).

It appears to have been a file ownership problem with some files in
/usr/local/etc/named ... but it's weird.  First of all, all files in there
were group and world readable.  Why is 9.12+ now suddenly so grumpy about
who owns the files?  Is this a recent fix to reduce the attack surface
on files owned by root?