(This post is not related to EfficientIP specifically...)

The ratio of security vulnerabilities found by “code inspection” is really low
nowadays. I would even say it’s nonexistent. This doesn’t apply only to BIND 9,
but also other open source projects.

Most of the issues are found by using the product in non expected ways. The
open source gives you the ability to quickly fix the issue.

We, at ISC, greatly value transparency and we carefully evaluate every issue
for potential security impact of every crash and other issues. Whether this
makes BIND 9 more appealing or appalling to you, is a thing you need to decide
yourself.

I’ve been part of the open source community for more than 20 years now and I
don’t ever remember where security by obscurity has ever improved overall state
of things, and both open source and proprietary software have seen its share of
bugs. In the end, all we as software users can ask is to be treated fairly and
honestly.

Ondřej
--
Ondřej Surý — ISC