Hi Niels,

> On 21 Jan 2020, at 15:43, Niels Haarbo via bind-users
> <bind-users@lists.isc.org> wrote:
>
> Hello BIND users
>
> Our DNSSEC signer changes NSEC3 salt every 30 days. The signer resigns all
> the relevant records and the zone is transferred using IXFR to the
> authoritative servers (6 nodes).

Just don’t do that, there’s no sensible reason to change salt that often (or
ever).  I don’t know where the advice to change salt often comes from, but the
advice has been wrong for so many years.

> Two of the 6 authoritative servers (BIND 9.11.13 and 9.11.14) are affected by
> a performance decline shortly after the change of salt. This has happened
> after the last 3 changes of salt and the period of performance decline is
> within 30 – 90 minutes. Most queries are dropped by the affected nodes during
> the period. The normal rate is between 1.000 and 1.500 queries/second.
>
> Other nodes running NSD and Knot are not affected.
>
> What could be the reason for the performance decline?

We are currently investigating performance degradation related to big IXFRs.
Do you use ixfr-from-differences in your BIND configuration?  You could try
enforcing AFRX on salt change.

This is currently tracked as
https://gitlab.isc.org/isc-projects/bind9/issues/1447

and associated feature request: