If that is true, I hereby lost all faith in humanity.. well whatever faith I had left. This has been going on for like half a decade now.

A few weeks ago I saw here on the list someone suggesting that BIND is a reference to bondage in BDSM, so perhaps it has to do with that... Lest we forget that BIND is an abbreviation for Berkeley Internet Name Domain. Software made at Berkeley, to serve domain names on the internet. The name is pretty descriptive about its intended purpose I would say. Perfectly fine! Just because an abbreviation coincidentally becomes the same as a word in another context doesn't mean that it suddenly /became/ that word. Western languages simply don't have enough characters and words to make everything unique and special. And the best part is.. banning certain words from general usage (for rather odd reasons) only exacerbates that problem.

But with that said, if BSD thinks that BIND stands for bondage, I suggest that BSD drops the D because it's clearly a reference to criminally masculine dicks. Everything else is bullshit.

(My apologies if bad words are disallowed here, but I had to get this off my chest)

Back to the thread's original topic, I happened to be configuring BIND on Alpine yesterday. I was pleased to see that the package in Alpine is simply called "bind". The service file in /etc/init.d is called "named". While those decisions are entirely up to the distribution vendors, I also think that version numbers don't really belong in the name of a piece of software. However even upstream the repository is called "bind9"... The branch name has already changed, so perhaps the same could be done for the repository name?