Probably best to ask Paul Vixie for confirmation<GRIN>.

I had implemented RRL when it was still an addon and that was what was documented back then.

On 12/1/20 10:15 AM, Karl Pielorz wrote:

--On 1 December 2020 at 08:24:50 -0600 Lyle Giese <l...@lcrcomputer.net> wrote:

You need to look at the reply named sends when it trips and starts
limiting UDP traffic source from a given IP address.  It tells the
requestor to try again using TCP instead of UDP.

So if the requestor is a legit dns server, it will retry using TCP and
still get a valid answer.

Named does not blindly just drop traffic.

Hmmm, I thought it did for RRL limit hits? (i.e. that's the point - to stop sending responses).

Documentation for rate-limit seemed a bit patchy e.g. KB aa-00994 references to "See ARM 6.2.15" - which doesn't exist. In fact a lot of the KB documents reference Bind 9.9 - and things have moved on.

But I can see it's better explained in the current ARM / Section 4.2.14.19 now.

In fact, that entry also covers/says "Legitimate clients react to dropped or truncated response by retrying with UDP or with TCP respectively" - looks like it documents where these are in stats as well (RateDropped / QryDropped et'al) - so I think I'm good to go.

-Karl