Edwardo Garcia <wdgar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> One question however it talk about longest TTL, does this mean also root
> TLD zones (.com, .net) which from memory are 48 hours, so before we delete
> old keys we need wait 48 hours, even though our zone TTL was 24 ?

When you are waiting after adding and signing with the new keys and before
swapping the DS records, it's only the longest TTL in your own zone that
matters. In my notes I call this the "child TTL" because the root and TLD
etc. don't matter.

https://www.dns.cam.ac.uk/news/2020-01-15-rollover.html

When you're waiting for the DS TTL it's only the TTL of that particular
record that matters. (It's in the parent zone so I called it the parent
TTL.) To be sure you are getting the right number you will need something
like:

        dig +ttlunits example.com ds @$(dig +short com ns | head -1)

i.e. pick one of the nameservers of the parent zone and ask it for your
zone's DS record, so you don't get mislead by decremented cached TTLs.
Note the DS TTL is often not the same as the parent NS or glue TTL.

> Thank you, wow much much easy than I hoped for :-)

I'm happy it helped!

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  https://dotat.at/
Biscay: North, backing northwest later, 2 to 4, occasionally 5 later