Hi again,

Never mind. It wasn't the difference between versions.
It was that the 9.10.3 server was forwarding all queries
to my ISP's DNS servers which are not functioning well.
They can't even resolve ietf.org at the moment.
When forwarding to 8.8.8.8 instead, it behaves the same
as the 9.11.5 server that's doing its own resolving.
Apologies for the noise.

cheers,
raf