Hi Grant

> Before stepping up to views I'd stop to ask the question, would
> returning multiple IPs in a preferred sort order suffice?

maybe, I'm reading up ...

> BIND has the ability to sort RRs differently based on different client
> criteria.

poking around the manual, are you alluding to the "sortlist" directive?

> If sorting of replies won't suffice, please provide a hypothetical
> example of a couple of different clients & responses for an example RR.

So the concern with returning an ordered RRset is that the set could be large:
The intention is that each private site/network will have its own DNS server
pair and that local recursors resolve all private zones from that local pair.
So things like NS records would be in scope for the ordered RRset response.
With more sites come more DNS pairs and therefore more NS records to be added
to the RRset. Maybe I can limit a RRset response to the first X number of
entries?

Thanks
Angus

--