Hello,

We are currently working with a product called Superna Eyeglass which can be used for DR purposes on Powerscale (Dell storages).

Quick background: Powerscale leverages DNS to create redundant and load-balanced frontend access. Without going into many details, Powerscale replies to DNS requests on a service IP (SSIP) indicating which node of the cluster should be used for the incoming connection. To that end, it requires you to delegate one (or more) zones to that SSIP.

Now Eyeglass (the DR product) recommends using "dual delegation" for failover purposes (there are two distinct clusters (active/passive) which are not necessarily in-sync at any given moment in time).

What they tell you to do is: Create a service name with two delegations/NS records pointing to both storages' SSIPs, the one currently not active will return REFUSED.

i.e. you have
cluster IN NS storage1
cluster IN NS storage2

Now they have "readiness" checks where they try to determine if that dual delegation is set up correctly.

However, Bind only seems to return one of those nameservers when asked for it. Example:

1) client asks Bind: what is NS for "cluster"?
2) Bind seems to issue requests to both "storage1" and "storage2" for "NS cluster", one of which always returns "REFUSED"
3) Answer of Bind to client does not contain the one that was "refused".

Therefore that readiness check is not working. They claim this is normal and that they only support Windows DNS for that check.

My conclusion is that Windows DNS is an abomination. And relying on an inherently faulty behavior leads straight to hell.

Am I missing something? Is Bind behaving correctly?

Thanks,
Marki