As some enterprise networks begin to engineer towards the concepts of
ZeroTrust, one item caught me unaware:  PM's asking for the DNSSEC signing of
an internal zone.

Granted, it has long been considered unwise by DNS pro's with a commonly stated
reason that it increasing the size of the zone yadda, yadda, yadda.

While that extra overhead is true, it is more accurate to say that if internal
clients are talking directly to an authoritative server the AD flag will not be
set.  You will only get the AA flag.  So there is nothing to be gained from
signing an internal zone.

However, I have not tested it yet, I would assume that if a non-authoritative
internal server was queried it would be able to walk the chain of trust and
return AD.

Thoughts?

John