Hi Robert.
May we see the file /etc/resolv.conf and your BIND configuration? It's
difficult to guess what might be going on with only a small snippet of
information.
If you "ping somewhere" (or "ssh a-server", or whatever) the OS will
consult resolv.conf to determine where to send DNS queries. If that's not
your local instance of BIND then you could be looking for trouble in the
wrong place.

If you *do* have an address of the local machine as the first 'nameserver'
entry in resolv.conf you will need to know what that query looks like to
determine how BIND is going to handle it.
You also need to know what BIND will try and do when it does receive
queries.

Packet captures are your friend here, using tcpdump (to disk, not to
screen). Gather evidence first, then make theories.

Cheers, Greg