On 10/27/22 1:24 PM, Marco wrote:
At least for IPv4, there are servers that reject connections from IPs that don't have a reverse zone with PTR record.

Please elaborate.

I've not heard of (unspecified type of) servers rejecting connections because of the lack of a PTR record.

I have heard of mail servers /accepting/ a /TCP/ /transport/ connection layer but /rejecting/ email at the /SMTP/ /application/ layer for the lack of a PTR record.

IMHO mail servers are not in scope for a $GENERATE style flood filling of a zone. Rather they are in scope for very specifically generated AAAA records.

That is the only reason that I see for that.
Most ISPs do it.

I'd say that /many/ ISPs populate in-addr.arpa zone(s) for IPv4. -- I still run across IPv4 addresses that don't have PTR records way more often than I think is reasonable.

I've seen no evidence that ISPs also populate ip6.arpa zone(s) for IPv6 in a similar way. Not the least of which are some of the reasons called out in this thread.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die