Have you checked named has permissions to read the file you have modified?

Just rndc reload should catch modified files. You can also specify just the zone modified.

Is there any output in journalctl -xeu named about those changes? Try dig @localhost example.org soa to check which version is loaded. Command "rndc zonestatus example.org" might help too. Replace example.org with your zone name.

Try also "sudo -u bind named-checkconf -z". Modify -u bind to other user if that is not the username of running named.service. If that does not report anything useful, then consult journalctl.

Cheers,
Petr